Sunday 20 October 2013

A New Life!

It all began a few months ago. In fact it was probably years ago when I first started to realise that while I enjoyed many aspects of my career at any one time, I was increasingly frustrated at working for other people.
I have worked in many roles. I have worked with adults with challenging behaviour and learning difficulties, children with or without learning difficulties, I have worked for a charity, a private independent company, The Local Authority, you name it really. It has taken me a long time to decide what I want to be 'when I grow up!'

 I have learnt a lot along the way from these different roles and have met many fascinating, unique people but there in the back of my mind was the increasing realisation that I really wanted to work for myself and that is what I have decided to do now.

A few months ago I was driving along in my trusty old car and the idea that I wanted to run my own business drifted into my head.
This idea simply would not go away and so I decided to explore it further.
Initially I thought I would like to run my own bar so when I got home I started to hunt about on The Internet for local bars for sale to see if I could afford to do this.

To cut a long story short I did seriously consider running a bar and even managed to get some friends interested in joining me in the venture. I identified a local bar and met with the owners to discuss how feasible the idea was. I enrolled at the college to receive the necessary licensee training and even bought a caravan on a cliff-top location close to the chosen venue. I figured it would be a good idea to have somewhere close by to go to when I finished all those late shifts. I decided that I was going to follow my dream and nothing was going to stop me.
I do believe if you want something enough and you are prepared to work at it you will eventually achieve what you set out to achieve but sometimes things don't quite turn out the way you initially planned.
Unfortunately the bar idea did not work out but the idea that I was going to work for myself was firmly lodged in my head and I decided that I couldn't look back.

I resigned from my full time teaching job and spent time researching other self-employed opportunities.
In the end I found two fantastic companies and decided to invest my time, effort and energies in them.

The first business I became involved in was Estate Planning.I was able to buy into an Estate Planning Franchise and received excellent training from the company, Professional Will Planning.
They have taught me what I need to know in order to set up as a consultant.
I visit people in their homes anywhere in Kent and take down all the information needed in order for their will to be drawn up.
I really enjoy marketing the business by visiting outdoor and indoor events such as Boot Fairs where I explain the importance of writing a will to potential clients. I also get a lot of job satisfaction from visiting clients in their homes and helping them to record their wishes.

The second business that I have become involved in is The Utility Warehouse Discount Club.
The training and support I have received as been incredible and I really believe the service offers its members significant discounts on their utility bills together with an opportunity to make money themselves.

I have absolutely no regrets about taking the decision to work for myself.
I still enjoy working with children and am doing quite a lot of supply teaching while my businesses become established. Supply Teaching allows you to experience the enjoyment of teaching children without all the stress and long hours involved in a full time teaching career.

My main goal is actually quite simple. I need to earn enough money to pay my bills including the ground rent on my beautiful caravan at the same time as being left with enough time and energy to enjoy my life.
I am inspired by people who have had the courage to follow their dreams and also by the creative thinkers who have invented new things and had the strength to continue when people doubted them they had the presence of mind to think for themselves and work on their own projects without being swayed by doubters.
I am trying to take a leaf out of their book and while it is early days I am finding that I can earn enough to survive and that I am filled with enthusiasm and energy which had been dwindling before I set out on this exciting new path!


                                            'I am going to spread my wings and fly!'

No comments:

Post a Comment